Sunday, November 11, 2012

Merry Antlers - Oh, Deer!

Oh, Deer!  My antlers are now sporting a merry garland for the season.

I decided last month to go with pink and soft green for my Christmas crafty things this year.  I have now added silver and black to the mix.

After bleaching and dying nearly 200 bottle brush trees, I was ready for something totally different.

I have seen what you creative people out there in Blogland have done with deer mounts.  I wanted to try one.

This is the result. 












I picked this mount up at a thrift shop last week.

It was sturdy and in good condition.  

Just right for painting and decorating.


















I used Rust-Oleum Heirloom White.  I painted over the whole thing - fur and all.

I liked the way the fur appears silvery so I left it that way.














Find yourself some super-cheapo garland.  I buy mine after Christmas when the thrift stores are trying to get rid of it.  Untwist and cut the wires holding the "branches".  The top branch is what you get. Great for twist ties on gift bags and decorations around the house.

I twisted three of them together for my garland and sprayed with a soft pink.








I let just a peek or two of the green show through the pink.












 Twist the garland around the tips of the antlers.

I did not secure these with glue so that the garland can be changed out for the seasons.

Thanks for this tip from Danni Baird at Silo Hill Farm who designs her projects to be reused as the seasons change.  See one project she plans to change here.



Grab some key tags and paint with Bay Laurel Folk Art craft paint.  I painted both sides in a distressed sort of way, not solid color.










 
I stamped the key tags with the proper letters to spell "MERRY" with StazOn black ink.

Yes, there are several sets here.  I will show what I did with the others in an upcoming post.















 Next some of my torn cotton ribbons in a pink calico are used to attach the key tags to the garland.
















Another item completed for my Christmas display at the antiques mall.  I need to paint a white table to hold the other things I have completed.  Plus there is that stack of feather pillows still waiting to be cleaned.  So I am running off to complete as much as possible today.  Check back to see the other Christmas-y things.

As I read over this post, I found it rather dry.  Sorry, I promise to be more entertaining when I am not exhausted! My inner writing voice is hoarse this morning.

See y'all!










Follow Me on Pinterest  . My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia The DIY Dreamer {Primp} buttonshabby creek cottagecraftionaryvif187Homespun HappeningsFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialIt's Overflowing Savvy Southern Style

19 comments:

  1. Your deer antlers turned out really cute. Love how you used the key tags. You seem to possess an unlimited amount of energy making so many different kinds of items for your antique mall displays, and posting about most to boot. I greatly admire what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think I'll be seeing this one featured everywhere! I love it Donna! I have a box full of antlers out in my shed! I can't believe you spray painted the fur...it turned out cool! I am so getting some of those key tags, I can think of a million things to do with them!! You totally ratted me out girl!! Now tell me, what is the difference with me making something and dismantling it and you making something and taking it to your store to sell off?????!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving those little key tags turned into banner words! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, Donna. I'm not sure what I like best - the "silvery" fur or the key tags. Brilliant idea! And your idea of using this for other seasons is brilliant - it would look awesome done for fall. I've got to head over to Danni's blog to see what she has done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Oh, Deer" is right ... that is a cute idea for your shop and should draw some attention to your display. Smart idea.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Love how you made the letters for "merry".
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute "girlie" deer....love it! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pink and soft green get a huge thumbs up! What a cute set of antlers painted. Yes, the silvery fur is perfect. You just never stop, do you!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your antlers! I am now following you on GF! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty--deer horns are quite the rage these days. Yours look pretty and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks a million times better painted white, it came up a treat! I wish our thrift stores had antlers in them, nothing like that here in Australia I think I'll have to buy a faux one instead. Cute garland too, you are definately in the Christmas spirit now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not expect to like deer antlers and this is really cute! Love the tags!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very creative! Your place at the mall is going to be so Merry Christmas festive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I am your newest follower and was hoping that you'd stop by my blog and follow me back.

    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok.... so I'm soooo going to beg my father-in-law for antlers!!! LOVE yours!!!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought some of those key tags and wanted to rust them. Those babies won't rust :( I just tried sanding it fist...we'll see. Looks cute and perfect timing for deer antlers :) Thank you for sharing at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for linking to Make The Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill, you are being featured later today!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!